Before we dive into a list of Christian books about marriage, let us briefly explain few points about Christian marriage – for it is also our task to give an overview of any topic before we recommend good books to the readers. We are aware that you searched for the information similar to the above heading. One merit of being in possession with recommended books is that you get the complete insight about the subject matter you are looking for – that’s the importance of reading.
NOTE: if you are not satisfied with the recommendation below, remember to contact Us we help you to search for more books.
Back to business, marriage is an ordained strong link, an intimate relationship between a man and a woman who loves each other and makes a perpetual covenant to stay together until death sets them apart.
Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate. Mark 10:9.
What are some of the reasons a Christian should marry?
Marriage is a personal choice. Hence, before marrying there are some things one ought to know before making a tie. A Christian marriage is unique to other religious marriages because it is a monogamy and perpetual covenant – not a contract.
Reasons for marrying:
- Fulfillment of God’s will.
The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him”
- Establishment of family union.
How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! Psalms 133:1
- It is the only way which God has provided for reproduction to human Kind. God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” Genesis 1:28.
- It is a holy way of shunning away from the immoral acts of fornication. But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 1 Corinthians 7:2
Conditions for Christian Marriage
Love is a fundamental aspect of marriage.
Husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. Eph 5:25
Virginity shows faithfulness, dignity and Loyalty. It is an idea to keep virginity until marriage as a Christian.
The woman he marries must be a virgin. He must not marry … a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people. Leviticus 21:13 – 14
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives. Deuteronomy 22:13 – 19
I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 2 Corinthians 11:2
1 8 this is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
Matthew 1:18 – 19
Dowry should be paid in full to woman’s family before officiating a marriage.
- Public announcement:
The entrance in marriage should not be taken in privacy. God, the congregation and both families, friends and the community should witness and officiate an agreement being made between a man and a woman. On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, John 2:1.
Some aspects in marriage
- Love and Intimacy
According to Genesis 4:1, Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived – to become one flesh means a sexual union. Marriage is the only legal union where God permits sex.
- Leaving and Cleaving
For a Christian marriage to be successful a couple should leave the former primary relationship and focus on new linkage. They must build a strong bond between each other. In-laws are not advised to play a major role in couple’s planning, decision making and conflict affairs. That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh Genesis 2:24.
- Covenant and Togetherness
Marriage is a pledge, an everlasting covenant, a solemn and spiritual bonding, agreement between a wife and a husband. Thoughts of separation and divorce should never be entertained in the minds of spouses. Therefore, a couple must stand firm to the snares which surround a marriage.
The following are fundamental topics you are likely to find in books authored about Christian marriage:
. Origins of marriage
. Choosing the right marriage partner
. The role of in –laws in marriages
.Conflict resolution in marriages
. Keys to happiness
. Re-union after separation and divorce
. What to do before getting married.
List of Books
1. You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity. Francis and Lisa Chan.
A couple gives a detailed story about the best practices to have a happy marriage.
2. Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of commitment with the Wisdom of God. Timothy and Kathy.
The authors offer the insightful overview of the meaning of Christian marriage in accordance to the Bible.
3. Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires, The Respect He Desperately Needs. Emerson Eggrichs.
Dr. Emerson Eggrichs, wrote about an important role which love and respect mean in a successful marriage.
4. The Power of a Praying Wife. Stormie Omartian
Spirituality is a weapon to enemies of a marriage. The author mentioned above explains in details about the importance of prayer in marriages.
5. Boundaries in Marriage. Dr. Henery Cloud and Dr. john Townsend.
In this book two Drs have answered the following questions;
. whom should you involve in your marriage affairs?
. What boundaries should you take?
.whom should you avoid in your marriage?
6. Couples Therapy Workbook: 30 Guided conversations to Re-connect Relationship. Kathleen Mates –Youngman.
The author provides 30 powerful solutions to happy marriages.
7. The 4 Habits of Joy – Filled Marriages: How 15 minutes a Day Will Help You Stay in Love. Marcus Warner and Chris M. Coursey.
The authors explain four keys to happy marriages.
8. No More Fighting: The Relationship Book for Couples: 20 Minutes a week to a Stronger Relationship. Alicial Munoz
It is a wonderful book for quarrel resolutions in marriages.
9. What Makes a Marriage Last: Morko Thomas & Phil Donahue
10. Marriage on the Rock 25th Anniversary: The Comprehensive Guide to a Solid, Healthy and Lasting Marriage (Marriage on the Rock Book) Jimmy Evance.
Jimmy Evance gives a depth outline on principles of marriage. Explaining it from its origin.
11. Marriage:6 Gospel Commitments Every Couple Needs to Make Hardcover. Paul D. Tripp
Buy from Amazon
A key to fundamental principles of Christian marriage and how to be strong in times of conflicts.